Sunday, October 28, 2007

Dancing Just Happiest

I know I sound like a total fanboy every time I blog about Wil, but when you get right down to it, his blog has become quite the community hub in the last few years. Prattle on all you want about Wesley, or how much you love Stand by Me, but there's so much more to my fandom than that. Wil's most recent post brings us links to pieces like this:

You have to admit, he does have a knack for finding the truely interesting and creative, and it really shouldn't come as a surprise. Many's the time Wil's made an obscure geeky reccomendation, and many of his readers - oblivious to said cool thing before reading - discover a new favorite whatever-it-is. Wil turned me on to the work of Neil Gaiman, for example.

Another reason is his writing. Turns out that Ensign Crusher tells a pretty damn fine story, wouldn't you know. No, you probably wouldn't, because you have that whole alt.wesley.crusher.die.die.die mentality and pass on WWdN:IX based solely on that stupid prejudice. Perhaps Star Trek in general turns you off, because it's "stupid" or "too nerdy." Or maybe you thought Joey Trotta was a douche, I don't know. The point is, you're missing out.

Well, what started as a technically-celebrity blog grew into a collection of books: Dancing Barefoot, Just A Geek, and his most recent release, The Happiest Days of our Lives (formerly known as You Want Kids with That?)

My girlfriend is awesome. I'm 99.9% sure she got me said new book for my birthday, coming next Monday (yay). So, in anticipation of this most awesome of gifts (thank you so much, Angel!), I'll be reviewing both Dancing Barefoot and Just A Geek this week. If you don't own these books, you really should change that. They're most excellent indeed. I'll see if I can't dig up and cross-link the original blog entries from WWdN to go along with the reviews, but since it's under renovation and on indefinate hiatus, searching might be quite the task...

Speaking of reviews, I'm also thinking about hitting up some more old-school NES reviews like I used to do, and maybe expanding into SNES as well. Old school games are a hobby, and let's face it: They may be outdated, but they're still awesome...

In the meantime, though, I'm looking forward to three well-earned days off to prepare for the coming milestone. At least the Steelers are playing on Monday Night next week...

No comments:

Post a Comment